I’ve also posted about new Apple TV 4th generation here:
Officially Apple is still not selling Apple TV in India through online store or authorised resellers. It is very confusing if somebody gets the Apple TV from outside, will that work or not. What features will work and what will not work ? Will there be any issues in Installing because of different power outlets, Network & TV connectors. I’ll try to answer all these doubts with this write up.
Television is believed to be an Idiot Box which has one way transmission, what ever is channel transmitting, you are consuming. There are hardly any ways to interact with TV. Computers with Internet connection are believed to be very Intelligent Boxes. It is easy to search video content on Internet through YouTube, but unfortunately computers don’t come with larger displays or HiFi sound system. Many people don’t even use desktop computer, instead they have Laptop or iPad to do most of the work. People spend lot of money on LCD/LED HD Televisions with 5.1 Home Theater Audio Systems, but without Internet, TVs are actually Idiot Boxes. Apple TV bridges this gap. So you can send audio visual content from iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or Mac or PC to Television using wired network connection or WiFi network. Apart from this Apple TV brings many indispensable features that changes your perspective to Idiot box in your drawing room.
Latest Apple TV (3rd Generation) is upgraded with new interface, a new A5 processor, 1080p movie can be purchased through iTunes or as rented through Netflix. Airplay performance is amazing in new 3rd generation Apple TV.
Where to buy Apple TV ?
You won’t be able to buy the Apple TV from Apple online store or authorised resellers. Best way to get Apple TV is ask some friend coming from USA, UK or any other country where Apple TV is sold. This will cost you much cheaper and it is very easy to carry. Apple TV in USA is available for $ 99. As per US Dollar to Rupee conversion rate this should cost less than Rs. 6000. Alternatively you can find few sellers through Google search, but can’t trust them. Here is one found on Rediff who is selling Apple TV for Rs. 7449 + Rs. 200 for shipping in India. Buy from Rediff
Apple officially announced Apple TV in India on 19-Feb-2012 for Rs. 7900 /-
So now you can just visit Apple store or Apple reseller and buy this.
- You should have LCD/LED Television, preferably with Full HD support for best experience.
- Television should have HDMI port to take content from Apple TV.
- If you have 5.1 Home Theater Speaker system that will further enhance your experience.
- Wired connection near the Television or good quality WiFi network signal.
- 1 Mbps above Internet connection for acceptable streaming of video. 2 or 3 Mbps above will make video streaming smooth.
- USA to India power adapter. (You don’t need power convertor. Apple TV accepts 110 to 240 voltage)
- You need to buy HDMI cable separately (Costs anywhere between Rs. 125 to Rs. 400) . This is not provided in the Box.
- Apple TV black coloured small cube.
- Remote Control
- Power Chord
- Warranty & Manual
How to Install ?
- Connect the HDMI cable one end to Apple TV and other end to TV.
- Connect Ethernet cable in case if you do not have WiFi network
- Connect the power cable
- Turn it on. There is no button on Apple TV. It shows white light on front when it is on.
- You may be shown some License and agreement on startup.
- You’ll see only Home & Settings menu on startup. Other menu options appear when you logon to Apple account.
- In case if you are using WiFi network which has password. You can go to general settings to set that Network password. Apple TV also allows you to configure automatic DHCP network settings or Manual network settings.
- Once network is configured, you can login with your apple id to see all the menu options. Also remember, you need to choose the country to show the local TV shows and Movies. India is still not listed here. You need to choose USA / UK or some other country.
- YouTube Videos
- Vimeo Videos
- Photos from Flickr
- Photo Streams
- AirPlay for sending Photos, Audio, Video content to Television from Apple Devices or iTunes on Mac/PC
- AirPlay mirroring with iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad & Mac
- Home Sharing from iTunes and Apple devices.
- Wall Street Journal TV
- Movie Trailers
- Podcasts with Video and Audio content
- List of Streaming Radios from all over the world.
- Hulu Plus
- Apple Remote App converts your iPhone/iPad in Apple TV controller. This is very useful when you have to type some text.
- There is one more app which works in AirPlay mirroring mode, where it shows pointer where ever you keep the finger on iPad. This can be good tool while showing some demonstrations on Apple TV.
Future plans for Apple TV:
- Apple is in talks with many local channel providers in each country. Just like WSJ channel all the channels can come on Apple TV in future. This will remove the need for separate set top box in home.
- Apple iOS apps model has been very successful on iPod Touch, iPhone & iPad. This can be extended to Apple TV in future. By architecture Apple TV is not different from these devices. The great caution will be required in developing these apps, because 1080p Video transmission or AC3 audio transmission through app may block lot of memory and processing power. There can be camera & Microphone inputs to add more complexity to app.
- Once the Apple data centers starts performing with full capacity, Apple can start providing SIRI (Voice command) software on Apple TV. Day is really not far when you will be able to speak to your Television and ask for program you wish to see rather than searching everything with remote in hand.